Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where are Maplelea products made?
We take great pride in being a Canadian-based company. The development, design, sculpting, writing, illustration, shipping and customer service of Maplelea products is done in Canada. We’ve made special arrangements with a variety of Canadian suppliers to manufacture specific pieces from our collection, including craftspeople in Nunavut who make Saila’s Pang hat and Amazing Amauti, and the local manufacturers who make much of our girl-size clothing. Unfortunately, there are no vinyl doll factories in Canada, thus the assembly of our products is mainly done at highly qualified, socially responsible factories in China.
The factories in China that assemble our dolls and accessories is highly skilled, very reliable, and socially responsible and ISO9001: 2000 certified. (ISO9001: 2000 is an internationally recognized certification of management quality.)
2. Are Maplelea products safe?
We are very concerned about safety and take all of the necessary steps to ensure we sell only the safest products possible. All of our products conform to ASTM certification, the international safety standard for toys, as well as the Canadian Hazardous Products Act. We are always very careful to use non-toxic materials. And, to ensure that everything has been produced as planned, we do rigorous and regular testing during the development phase, and as products arrive in our warehouse.
Maplelea products are NOT suitable for children under three years due to the choking hazard presented by small parts.
3. How does the quality of Maplelea compare to other 18” dolls manufacturers?
At Maplelea our products are designed to impeccable standards, and we are confident you will be pleased with the quality of Maplelea products. In order to maintain this level of quality and value:
• We use factories that are highly qualified, reliable and socially responsible.
• We use superior materials and processes in the manufacture of our products
• We do frequent safety testing of our products.
• We put considerable detail in our products (such as linings, embellishments, decorative stitching, etc.)
• We have a high degree of Canadian creative content in our products. All designing, illustrating, writing and sculpting is done in Canada. The cost of this creative input is higher in Canada than most other countries.
• Our storylines and packaging designs are distinctively Canadian and therefore Maplelea sells primarily in Canada. Most doll companies make a more generic product that is suitable for a much larger international market.
4. Are Maplelea dolls available in stores?
No, Maplelea products are not available in stores. Stores require a significant mark-up in order to cover their expenses. By eliminating the middleman and selling directly to consumers we are able to keep our prices as low as possible. Maplelea products are only available from Maplelea. Orders can be placed on-line or by calling 1-800-668-4339. We also have occasional pop-up shops and meet-up events where our products are on display and available for sale. Sign up for our email newsletter, watch our blog, or follow us on facebook to be among the first to know about upcoming events.
5. What age are the Maplelea dolls recommended for?
Maplelea dolls are recommended for children age 6 to 12+ years. Our dolls appeal to doll enthusiasts of all ages, however are safe only for children over three.
Maplelea dolls and their accessories should never be given to children under three due to the choking hazard of small parts.
6. Does Maplelea come with a product guarantee?
Our products are designed to impeccable standards and we are confident you will be pleased with the quality of Maplelea products. If, however, you are dissatisfied with an item due to a manufacturing defect, we will gladly replace it at no charge. In the unlikely event that you need to make arrangements for a product replacement, please contact email@example.com or telephone 1-800-668-4339.
7. Are the Maplelea story journals bilingual?
Yes. All Maplelea products and accompanying journal pages are completely bilingual, with the exception of Saila. Her journal is tri-lingual; English, French and Inuktitut!
8. Do Maplelea outfits fit other dolls?
All Maplelea outfits fit all Maplelea dolls. Maplelea outfits also fit most other 43cm-46cm (17”-18”) hard and soft body play dolls, such as; Our Generation, Journey Girls and American Girl dolls.
9. What is the “ethnicity” or “cultural background” of the 7 Maplelea characters?
Brianne’s family is of Ukrainian heritage, having immigrated to Canada over 100 years ago. Jenna has both Scottish and German heritage in her background. Léonie describes herself as having "lots of French blood, but also a little Native and some Irish." Saila is from Nunavut and is proud of her Inuit heritage. Charlsea's background is English.
Brianne, Saila, Jenna, Charlsea and Léonie celebrate Christmas, Easter and other similar holidays. For Taryn and Alexi, no ethnic, cultural or religious background has been mentioned in their journals, leaving you free to create that part of their story for yourself.
10. How should Maplelea dolls and accessories be cared for?
For care instructions, please click here.
11. Can you repair my injured doll?
Even the best loved dolls sometimes have misadventures when living in a busy household with little siblings, puppy dogs and other hazards. If misfortune has befallen your Maplelea doll, we recommend a trip to the Maplelea Spa. Your Maplelea doll will be returned looking and feeling great. She will be wearing a comfy spa gown and matching slippers, accompanied by new pages for her journal. The spa fee is $56.
Please note that this is a doll replacement service; we cannot repair your original doll. For further details on the Maplelea Spa, click here.
12. Further questions?
Should you have additional questions pertaining to Maplelea, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 1-800-668-4339.